Monday, May 13, 2013

The DUFF: Designated Ugly Fat Friend by Kody Keplinger...

Series: -
Published: September 7th 2010 by Little Brown/Poppy
Pages: 280
Date Finished: May 14th, 2013
Rating: 5 stars
Age Recommendation: 15+ (Due to mature themes)

Synopsis:

Seventeen-year-old Bianca Piper is cynical and loyal, and she doesn’t think she’s the prettiest of her friends by a long shot. She’s also way too smart to fall for the charms of man-slut and slimy school hottie Wesley Rush. In fact, Bianca hates him. And when he nicknames her “the Duff,” she throws her Coke in his face.

But things aren’t so great at home right now, and Bianca is desperate for a distraction. She ends up kissing Wesley. Worse, she likes it. Eager for escape, Bianca throws herself into a closeted enemies-with-benefits relationship with him.
Until it all goes horribly awry. It turns out Wesley isn’t such a bad listener, and his life is pretty screwed up, too. Suddenly Bianca realizes with absolute horror that she’s falling for the guy she thought she hated more than anyone.

Review:

I had somewhat high expectations going into this book after seeing all the hype around this book when it first came out and then seeing all the rave reviews that it got on Goodreads. But this book was definitely not what I was expecting at all, it completely blew me away.

The plot. I loved the plot of this book! When I first started reading this book I was expecting it to be just a light hearted fun read, but as I read further I found it to be a book filled with emotion and I found it to be very thought provoking. I loved seeing how Bianca and Wesley's relationship developed throughout the course of the book and seeing just how much Bianca's feelings changed by the end of this book. I thought that the book was set at a great pace and everything happened in a realistic way and I thought that it was just a fun, fast, light and surprisingly emotional read.

The characters. I really enjoyed all of the characters in this book and I thought that they were all written really well and I also thought that there were just enough characters so I got to know each of them very well by the end of the book and I thought that they all had an impact on the story.
Bianca. I really enjoyed Bianca's character in this book. I thought that she was very relatable and s great characters to have the books POV told from, I loved her snarky personality and I thought that it added a lot more to the book. I really felt for her in her home situation and how she felt like she needed to escape from what was going on in her life. I loved seeing her change throughout the book and how she went from being someone that didn't really believe in love to where, though, she still doesn't believe in love she is open to the possibility of it and that is all thanks to the effect that Wesley had on her.
Wesley. I will admit when I first read his character in this book I really didn't like him, I thought that he was arrogant, self-absorbed and just not a very good person. But then as the book went on and Bianca became closer to him I got to see why he did the things that he did and I really felt for him. I loved seeing how he changed throughout the book and the impact that Bianca had made on his life and how she had helped shape him into a better person by the end of the book.

Overall I immensely enjoyed this book and it is one that I would recommend to anyone and I will definitely be reading some more of Kody Keplinger's work very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment