Monday, May 6, 2013

Slammed by Colleen Hoover...

Series: Slammed (Book #1)
Published: February 14th 2013 by Simon & Schuster UK
Pages: 352
Date Finished: May 3rd, 2013
Rating: 5 stars
Age Recommendation: 15+ (Due to mature themes)

Synopsis:

Layken's father died suddenly, leaving her to gather every ounce of strength to be a pillar for her family, in order to prevent their world from falling apart. Now her life is taking another unexpected turn…
Layken's mother gets a job which leads to an unwanted move across country. However, a new home means new neighbours… and Layken's new neighbour is the very attractive Will Cooper.
Will has an intriguing passion for slam poetry, and a matching passion for life. The two feel an irresistible attraction but are rocked to the core when a shocking revelation brings their romance to a screeching halt.
Layken and Will must find a way to fight the forces that threaten to tear them apart… or learn to live without each other.


Review:

I have to admit when I picked up this book I had no idea if I would like it or not, I saw all of the amazing reviews and then finally decided to pick it up. And WOW this book was an emotional roller-coaster from page one.

The plot. I absolutely LOVED the plot of this book. I thought that the plot was really interesting and I was always kept on my toes when it came to the status of Layken and Will's relationship. I really felt for them both, how they had the huge obstacle that was in the way of them being together and them trying to find a way to just be friends. I thought that both the characters home situations really helped to shape them as believable characters and it was sad but also very interesting to see how their situations ultimately brought them closer together. I thought that the book was very well written and it flowed extremely well, I was able to finish it in a matter of a couple of hours, it was unputdownable.

The characters. I really enjoyed all of the characters in this book, I thought that they were all extremely well written and they all had their own personalities that shone through in the book.
Layken. I really enjoyed Layken in this book, I thought that she was very relatable and I really felt her pain and confusion when it came to her relationship with Will and how she was trying to find a balance between her feelings for him and their friendship. I also really felt for her when it came to her home situation, I never saw what eventually happened coming and I can't imagine how much of a shock it would have been, but I thought that she handled it very maturely. It was great to see her grow throughout the book and become an even more mature person by the end.
Will. I also enjoyed Will's character. I thought that he was a great person and also someone that was great for Layken. He understood her situation and in the end helped her through it and stuck by her. I really felt for him in this book and especially when he found out that the obstacle that was keeping them apart was to do with him. I felt for him and his home life, I thought that he was mature beyond his years and I just ultimately thought that he was a great character.

Overall I thought that this was an extremely moving and thought-provoking book and I am so glad that I decided to pick up "Point of Retreat" when I got "Slammed" because I need to start reading it ASAP! This is a book that I would tell everyone to read and I think that it is one that everyone needs to rush out and buy.

No comments:

Post a Comment