Thursday, February 7, 2013

Cursed by Jennifer L. Armentrout...

Series: -
Published: September 18th 2012 by Spencer Hill Press
Pages: 304
Rating: 5 stars
Age Recommendation: -

Synopsis:

Dying sucks--and high school senior Ember McWilliams knows firsthand. After a fatal car accident, her gifted little sister brought her back. Now anything Ember touches dies. And that, well, really blows.
Ember operates on a no-touch policy with all living things--including boys. When Hayden Cromwell shows up, quoting Oscar Wilde and claiming her curse is a gift, she thinks he's a crazed cutie. But when he tells her he can help control it, she's more than interested. There's just one catch: Ember has to trust Hayden's adopted father, a man she's sure has sinister reasons for collecting children whose abilities even weird her out. However, she's willing to do anything to hold her sister's hand again. And hell, she'd also like to be able to kiss Hayden. Who wouldn't?
But when Ember learns the accident that turned her into a freak may not've been an accident at all, she's not sure who to trust. Someone wanted her dead, and the closer she gets to the truth, the closer she is to losing not only her heart, but her life. For real this time.


Review:

I had super high expectations going into this book because I have read and loved the "Covenant" and the "Lux" series also by Jennifer L. Armentrout and I was really looking foward to see how she would write a stand alone novel, and it was absolutely amazing.

The plot. I really enjoyed the plot of this book and it was like nothing I had ever read before. I loved the idea of people being "gifted" and then someone bringing them all together to live in a house and it was great seeing how they all intereacted with each other and generally just everything that went on in the house. I thought that the plot line was really fast paced and it was a very easy and fast read but filled with a lot of suspense, mystery, plot twists and romance.

The characters. From the first time I picked up a Jennifer L. Armentrout book I knew she had a knack for writing characters and this book was much of the same. All of the characters had really rich personalities and they were all very believeable.
Ember. I really enjoyed reading this story from Ember's POV I really felt for her throughout the book as she felt that he gift was a curse and seeing how she felt like an outsider in the house and not having any means to escape. I loved seeing how she developed in book and became a more confident person by the end of the book and I also really liked seeing how her relationship with Hayden developed.
Hayden. I really enjoyed Hayden's character as well. I thought that though how he found Ember was a little bit creepy, ultimatley he only had her best interests at heart and he would do anything for her. I really felt for him throughout the book and seeing the struggle that he went through trying to stay away from Ember and trying to keep things about himself as well as the things that he knew about the accident from her because he knew what it would do to her and their relationship.

Overall I really did enjoy this book and I wish that it was a series rather than just a stand alone book because I feel that this book would be a great starting point for a series. But even as a stand alone book it was great and one that I would recommend.

No comments:

Post a Comment