Sunday, November 4, 2012

Twenty Boy Summer by Sarah Ockler...

Series: -
Published: June 1st 2009 by Little, Brown Books for Young Readers
Pages: 290
Rating: 4 stars
Age Recommendation: -

Synopsis:

"Don’t worry, Anna. I’ll tell her, okay? Just let me think about the best way to do it."
"Okay."
"Promise me? Promise you won’t say anything?"
"Don’t worry.” I laughed. “It’s our secret, right?"


According to Anna’s best friend, Frankie, twenty days in Zanzibar Bay is the perfect opportunity to have a summer fling, and if they meet one boy every day, there’s a pretty good chance Anna will find her first summer romance. Anna lightheartedly agrees to the game, but there’s something she hasn’t told Frankie–she’s already had her romance, and it was with Frankie’s older brother, Matt, just before his tragic death one year ago.

TWENTY BOY SUMMER explores what it truly means to love someone, what it means to grieve, and ultimately, how to make the most of every beautiful moment life has to offer.


Review:

I had very high expectations for this book when I finally picked it up because I had been hearing such great things about it and though it didn't meet my high expectations I was still pleasantly suprised.

The plot. I really enjoyed the plot, it was like nothing I had ever read before and I thought that the twenty boy summer bet that Frankie came up with was an interesting twist to the book and I was pretty suprised that Anna went along with it. I loved the emotion in this book aswell, I thought that it was expressed very well and I found it very easy to feel what Anna and Frankie were feeling because of the loss of Matt. I thought that the paced very well also, and it was written in such a way that I had to see what was on the next page and I also loved the flashbacks to Anna and Matt's past.

The characters. I thought that all of the characters were written very well in this book, I loved Anna's character, I thought that she was very relateable and a great choice to have her POV told, I loved seeign how she grew throughout the book and started to enjoy herself especially when she meet Sam and their relationship started to progress.
I also really liked Frankie's character, though I didn't like her at times I could see that her acting out was the way that she dealt with the greif of loosing her brother and I really felt for her. I thought that she did make some wrong choices in the book but she also did try to make up for them in the end.

Overall I really enjoyed this book, though for me it wasn't a five-star book it was still one I thoroughly enjoyed and is a book that I will be reading for summers to come.

No comments:

Post a Comment