Saturday, April 13, 2013

Covet by J.R. Ward...

Series: Fallen Angels (Book #1)
Published: October 29th 2009 by Signet
Pages: 474
Date Finished: April 12th, 2013
Rating: 5 stars
Age Recommendation: 16+ (Due to sexual and other mature content)

Synopsis:

Redemption isn’t a word Jim Heron knows much about—his specialty is revenge, and to him, sin is all relative. But everything changes when he becomes a fallen angel and is charge with saving the souls of seven people from the seven deadly sins. And failure is not an option. Vin DiPietro long ago sold his soul to his business, and he’s good with that — until fate intervenes in the form of a tough- talking, Harley-riding, self-professed savior. But then he meets a woman who will make him question his destiny, his sanity, and his heart—and he has to work with a fallen angel to win her over and redeem his own soul.

Review:


I had very high expectations after reading and loving J.R. Ward's "Black Dagger Brotherhood" series and I was interested what she would do with the concept of fallen angels, well she did not disappoint I thought that this was a great first book, so good in fact I bought the next three in the series when I was about half way through.

The plot. I really did enjoy the plot of this book. I loved how it was set in the same city as the BDB series and also had a small side character in BDB becoming the main love interest as well as bringing in other side characters from the series. I thought that having those familiar characters and the familiar setting feel like the elaborate storyline and world set up was that much of a leap. I thought that the overall feel of the book was a lot like the BDB series also, but in saying that the book also stood on it's own and it had so many differences that I didn't feel that this was a repeat of the series. I loved having the multiple POV in this book also, I thought that it bought a whole different element to the book and really was able to draw me in a lot more because I was able to relate to all of the characters from seeing inside their heads.

The characters. I thought that they were all written flawlessly and they all had their own different personality traits and were all likeable for their own reasons.
Marie-Terese. I really enjoyed her character and seeing how she developed throughout the book into a more trusting person. From the start of the book I liked her, I loved seeing her strength in what she had been through with her family situation and the lengths she had gone to to make sure that her son was safe.
Vin. I also enjoyed Vin's character in this book. I liked seeing the transformation he went through from the start of the book and how he started to feel love for another person when he met Marie-Terese. I liked seeing how their relationship slowly changed him for the better.
Jim. I liked seeing how the situation he was in ultimately changed him into a better person and how he started to let people into his life which he hadn't done for a long time and I also really enjoyed reading everything that happened to him in this book.

Overall I thought that this was a great first book the series. I thought that it was well written, well thought out and just ultimately a great book and I cannot wait to see what is in store for Jim in the rest of the series.

No comments:

Post a Comment