Monday, January 21, 2013

Harry Potter and the Order of the Pheonix by J.K. Rowling...

Series: Harry Potter (Book #4)
Published: June 21st 2003 by Scholastic, Inc.
Pages: 870
Rating: 2 stars
Age Recommendation: -

Synopsis:

Harry Potter is due to start his fifth year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. His best friends Ron and Hermione have been very secretive all summer and he is desperate to get back to school and find out what has been going on. However, what Harry discovers is far more devastating than he could ever have expected...

Suspense, secrets and thrilling action from the pen of J.K. Rowling ensure an electrifying adventure that is impossible to put down.


Review:

I really tried to love this book, I really did. But if I'm honest (because I only started reading the series just over a year ago)this series has never stood up to the hype that is around it in my oppion and this book was no exception.

The plot. So I will admit that I didn't actually finish the book but I did give it a very good try (over five hundred pages) but it was taking me way too long to read and I just wasn't enjoying it. Now I will admit there were some good parts to the story where I found myself really interested in what was going on, though for the most part I was just... bored. I did think out of the four other books I have read so far in the series that this was the best but it just didn't hold my interst well enough for me to continue reading.

The characters. I think the characters (well character) is one of the main reasons why I can't get into this series and that character would be Harry. I have never been able to relate to him in any of the books in this series. For the most part he comes across to me as being very arrogant and even though it is meant to sound like he is very humble about what he has achieved and done throughout his life, his character just doesn't read that way to me.
Ron and Hermione. Now these are characters that I LOVE! I think that Ron is especially funny along with his brothers and I think that all three of them make this series so entertaining. I also love Hermione's character, I really like how she cares so much for her friends and will do anything to help them.

Overall I just don't think that this series is for me. I do love Hermione and Ron and all the other Weasley's but Harry I just could not relate to. So for now this series goes unfinished but I will update the review if I ever do manage to finsih this book.

No comments:

Post a Comment