Monday, July 18, 2011

Marcelo In The Real World by Francisco X. Stork...

Series: -
Published:  February 1st 2011 by Scholastic
Pages: 320
Rating: 4 stars
Age Recommendation: -

Synopsis:

Marcelo Sandoval hears music no one else can hear--part of the autism-like impairment no doctor has been able to identify--and he's always attended a special school where his differences have been protected. But the summer after his junior year, his father demands that Marcelo work in his law firm's mailroom in order to experience "the real world."

There Marcelo meets Jasmine, his beautiful and surprising coworker, and Wendell, the son of another partner in the firm. He learns about competition and jealousy, anger and desire. But it's a picture he finds in a file -- a picture of a girl with half a face -- that truly connects him with the real world: its suffering, its injustice, and what he can do to fight.

Review:

I really didn't know what to expect from this book as I have never read anything like this book before, but I did have pretty high expectations for this book just because of all the great things I've heard about it.

For me I found the plot to be very slow, but I think that this was because we were seeing the world through Marcelo's eyes and that he finds the world a difficult place to be in. I also thought that seeing the world through Marcelo's eyes really did enhance the story and made the story so much more memorable then if it was told from anyone else's point of view.

I thought that Marcelo's character was amazing, he was a very genuine person and you got to feel what it was like to be in his position and what it was like to see the world in a very literal way.

Overall I thought that this book was really good. I think that it really makes you look at your life and see how you can change it for the better. I thought that this was a really moving story and something that everyone should read.

No comments:

Post a Comment