Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Requiem For A Dream by Hubert Selby Jr.

Series: -
Published:  April 24th 2003 by Marion Boyars Publishers
Pages: 280
Rating: 5 stars
Age Recommendation: 16 years + (Graphic content, Constant use of Foul Language and Drug Use)
 
Synopsis:
 
In Coney Island, Brooklyn, Sara Goldfarb, a lonely widow, wants nothing more than to lose weight and appear on a television game show. She becomes addicted to diet pills in her obsessive quest, while her junkie son, Harry, along with his girlfriend, Marion, and his best friend, Tyrone, have devised an illicit shortcut to wealth and leisure by scoring a pound of uncut heroin. Entranced by the gleaming visions of their futures, these four convince themselves that unexpected setbacks are only temporary. Even as their lives slowly deteriorate around them, they cling to their delusions and become utterly consumed in the spiral of drugs and addiction, refusing to see that they have instead created their own worst nightmares.
 
Review:
 
I had sky high expectations for this book because the movie adaptation of this book would have to be my favourite movie, though I am not suprised because as we all know more times then not the book is better then the movie. The one critisisim I would have about the book is the constant stream of dialoug with no quotation marks or new lines which I found confusing when I started the book but I soon got used to it.

Even though I knew what to expect from this book because of watching the movie countless times before, I found myself sympathizing with the characters even more then before because you get to see a little bit more of the story about the character and you get to see what they are feeling and their reasoning behind their actions.

Overall I thought that the book was amazing and is definitley something that everyone should read in their lifetime, I find the story to be completley eye-opening and it makes you appreciate your life a whole lot more.

No comments:

Post a Comment