Thursday, March 28, 2013

Burn For Burn by Jenny Han and Siobhan Vivian...

Series: Burn For Burn (Book #1)
Published: September 18th 2012 by Simon & Schuster Books for Young Readers
Pages: 368
Rating: 5 stars
Age Recommendation: -

Synopsis:

BIG GIRLS DON'T CRY...
THEY GET EVEN.

Lillia has never had any problems dealing with boys who like her. Not until this summer, when one went too far. No way will she let the same thing happen to her little sister.

Kat is tired of the rumours, the insults, the cruel jokes. It all goes back to one person– her ex-best friend– and she's ready to make her pay.

Four years ago, Mary left Jar Island because of a boy. But she's not the same girl anymore. And she's ready to prove it to him.

Three very different girls who want the same thing: sweet, sweet revenge. And they won't stop until they each had a taste.


Review:

I had very high expectations going into this book after reading Jenny Han's "Summer" series and falling in love with it. But I went into this book not really knowing what to expect, especially because I had not read anything from Siobhan Vivian. But I found that I really enjoyed this book.

The plot. I thought that the plot of this book, though not a completely original idea, was like nothing I had ever read before. Something I really loved about the book was the change of POV between the three girls and how it gave me a chance to learn about the girls as the story went along and I was able to see parts of their lives that the others didn't get to see. I thought that the pacing of the book was great and thought that the book was left on a great cliff hanger.

The characters. I thought that that the three main girls were written very well but when it came to the side characters I found that they fell flat for me especially Rennie.
Lillia. I enjoyed Lillia's character and how her revenge was purely based of trying to keep her sister safe because of what she thought Alex did, so I think that that really speaks volumes about her as a person and that she would do anything for her family and the people that she cares about.
Kat. I also really enjoyed Kat's character and I loved seeing the contrast between her and the two other girls in the way that she lives her life and I thought that it brought a really interesting element to the book. I really felt for her with what she had been through in her life and I thought that she was a really interesting character to read about.
Mary. I really felt for Mary and what she had been through with Reeve and to be honest I thought that her revenge was probably the most justified out of the three girls because of the effect that the bullying had on her. I really think that her story was an important element in the book because I thought that it showed the extent that bullying can have on people.

Overall I really enjoyed this book and I cannot wait to see what happens in the next one and I will definitely be pre-ordering my copy very soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment